Friday, January 18, 2019

Iron Crowned Chapter 26

So, permit me make sure Im following this correctly.I sighed and shifted on the have it away, knowing Dorian was repeating this conversation mostly because he managed seeing my discomfort.Your technology goat branch you youre having a boy and a girl, when theyre due, and whollyow you to hear their heartbeats, he continued. But some medicine inexplicably totally counteracted the other ane you deal out to prevent pregnancy.Took, I muttered. Seeing as its kind of pointless now.Dorian leaned back in a plush armchair, face expressing overly spectacular pondering. After fainting, Id been supplyn a guest room befitting my status, a good sign since hospitality simply meant protection and in no way related to ones accommodations. It wasnt quite as nice as Dorians room, of course, b arly the mattress was thick and fluffy, and the green velvet bungholeopy coordinated with the heavy brocaded bedding. As sick as Id felt, I honestly would have been glut to curl up on the floor somewhe re. Id been awake for about an hr now, alone in the vast room save for Dorian.What a fascinatingly bizarre turn of events, he mused, stroking his chin. If you thought the Iron pinnacle scared people, just wait until this modernistics spreads. Which, of course, it already has.I enwrapped a elapse over my forehead. Isnt it bad enough that Im carrying a realism-conquering soothsaying child? Why all the political fallout?Because youre carrying a world-conquering prophecy child, he responded. Its the type of thing people t reverse to have sound feelings about.I thought almost everyone wanted to conquer the human world.Most, he agreed. But non all. Especially those who after observing your record thereof far might fear youll conquer this world scratch line.I roll over to my side, giving me a burst view of him. Since the earlier spectacle, Dorian had masked whatever per boyal feelings he had about my pregnancy, switching into machination ruler mode. But not you, I said. Yo uve always been in elevate of this fulfilling the prophecy.Ive never make a secret of that, he agreed. From the moment we met.That was true, at least. Hed sat on that desire while we were involved, exclusively Id always cognize it lurked. Youve just kept other secrets instead, I blurted out.He didnt answer me practiced away, but those green-gold look weighed me thoughtfully. Yes. Yes, I have. Secrets I now regret.That silenced me for several(prenominal) moments. I hadnt expected any kind of apology. Something in me softened toward him. rightfully?If I hadnt deceived you about the Iron Cr induce, he explained, we would gloss over be together.I could only stare. The piece of me that had never stopped loving him tentatively reared its head. It was unuttered to guess he was here confessing his feelings, admitting that what wed had had been more important than his scheming. It gave me a juvenile insight into him, one that astonished yet pleased me.And if wed stayed together, he continued, I would have been the lucky beneficiary of this medicinal case.So much for new insight.I groaned and off away. Of course. Of course thats the real source of your regret. You dont get to place the revolution.I perceive him get up and sit on the bed beside me. A few seconds later, he actually had the audacity to lie down. I wiggled over to make room.Its more than revolution, he said. I also told you the first time we met that Id have a child with you, regardless of any prophecy.Im not convinced that the with me part was so relevant.Dorian touched my cheek and turned my face toward his. Do you really believe that? Do you really believe my feelings for you were so small that your being the mother of my child wouldnt have meant the world to me?I started to snarkily correct him with worlds, but it seemed petty. I dont know what I believe, I said honestly. I dont even know if I have the efficacy or motivation to analyze our relationship when I have this dismissal on. I r ested my hand on my brave. Dorians eyes followed that motion, utterly captivated. contempt your foolish fathering choices, this He reached toward my stomach as well, then pulled back. This is a miracle. This is a prophecy fulfilled. This is life. And really, Kiyo is no longer relevant. Hes given up any claims to these children. They are yours and yours alone now.My fingers tightened on my stomach, not painfully, but more in a possessive type of way. My gaze grew unfocused. I still cant believe that. I cant believe that hed dismiss his own children so tardily. That hed dismiss me so easily I doubt it was easy. You arent that easy to get over. A small promissory note of bitterness there. But his opposition to the prophecy was similarly great. Just as my support is great enough to take you in despite your traitorousness and embark in the madness to come.Betrayal? I started to tell him he was the last one who should accuse anyone of that but held back. Will people deal youre c razy to do it?Hardly, he snorted. Most will think theyre my children anyway, ironically enough. No one except Jasmine had heard my brief paternity deputise with Dorian in the hall.I frowned. I think sometimes Kiyo does too.They can be.My first reaction was that this was some sort of joke of his, but all humor had disappeared from his face. I dont think you fully deduce genetics.I understand that parenting is more than just blood, he said, still deadly earnest. And as I said hes relinquished any claims. You are in control, and if even he and others question the childrens parentage, then so much the better. Simply declare me the father. contain it recorded, and by our laws, the children will be mine for all intents and purposes.Something about that act off my alarms. What do you mean intents and purposes?He shrugged a bit too casually. Titles. Prestige. Protection. Inheritance if either is strong enough to hold my kingdom. Which, according to the prophecy, your son should be.I d ont know, I said. There might be some gumshoe benefits to this sort of gentry adoption, but I had a feeling that Dorian wasnt telling me all of them particularly things that benefited him alone. He was still upset with me. He didnt like Kiyo. There was no reason that I could see for this. I have to think about it.Think fast, Dorian said. Things will be in motion soon, particularly once we get you back to your own lands.Why? I asked. Why would you want to claim someone elses children? I mean, I get your wanting to see the prophecy come true, but you dont have to take that extra step.Maybe someone elses children are better than no children at all, he said.It was another odd statement from him, a surprising one. twain philosophical and touching. Yet, I still believed there was a deception here. This wasnt out of love for me. Not anymore. His hand moved toward my stomach again and he didnt pull it away this time, though he made sure to moderate away from my hand.Let me ask you a que stion, he said when I made no response. Why did you choose to keep these children? Do you fear the unholy procedure your people use to end life? Were you unable to live with your daughters blood on your hands?My headland rewound back to that day at the doctors. That day? Hell. It had only been earlier today. So much had happened since then that weeks might have gone by. My horrible ordeal with Kiyo had blurred the memories, but now, the ultrasound came back to me, the sights and sounds as real and superb as though I were experiencing them all over again.I heard their heartbeats, I said at last. And I saw them. Well, kind of. Those blurs still didnt look like much to me, but the point was irrelevant. And when I did I groped to explain my feelings. I just I just wanted them. Both of them. None of the rest mattered.A slow, strange smile spread crossways Dorians face. That, he declared, is the most gentry thing Ive ever heard you say.Normally, I would have mocked him for using gen try instead of shining ones. It was a slip he sometimes made around me. His words content, however, was of more importance. Thats ridiculous.Not so. piece overthink things. They throw away life heedlessly. Honestly, after all this time, I was number 1 to think you were more human than shining one.I hate to tell you, but I am, I said.Dorian made himself more comfortable, and the hand on my stomach moved so that his arm lay over me, almost but not quite an embrace. It was possessive, like I was a prize that had fallen into his lap. Are you, my dear? Youre expressing philosophies very like my own. Youre carrying a child that will allegedly conquer the human world a world you cant go back to for a while, seeing as it would give the kitsune an edge. Youre safer here in this world where, Id like to add, you rule not one but two kingdoms. That, he declared triumphantly, makes you, by my reckoning, more like a gentry than a human.I looked away, not meeting his eyes because I had a cra zy feeling he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment